Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Integration

I have taken a little bit of a break from writing on our blog – but
luckily for me I have Ryan to pick up my slack! A lot has happened in
the last few weeks, and I am happy to say that I have adjusted well.
I really like our new family and placement in Mpaka.  There is a lot
going on in this little “town”, and it seems like my fear of being
bored out of my mind with nothing to do was useless, as worrying
always is.  There is plenty to do here!  Just this week I have spent
time at the Kagogo Center meeting with my counterpart, I have met with
the Malindza headmaster where, if all pans out well, I will be
teaching life skills and computer skills, and I have a meeting this
morning with the local pastors of Mpaka, hopefully trying to get an in
on some youth group activities. People seem very perceptive to us
being here, and although they are a little unclear of our roles,
(which is okay – so was I) people are ready and willing to accept us
as part of their community.

We are also spending a lot of our time doing Homestead Visits, which
is basically a meet and greet of neighbors, and that is going very
well.  Although we don’t always have a SiSwati translator to go with
us, we just kind of wing it, and it is working!

The only downside to living in Mpaka is actually an upside as well.
We live about a 15 minute walk to the main road for transport (awesome
– a lot of other volunteers have to walk 2 hours to the main road),
however, living this close to the main road with shops means that
there is A LOT of trash thrown everywhere. What is an absolutely
breathtaking landscape is ruined with black plastic bags, cocoa-cola
bottles and candy wrappers sprinkled everywhere. When I was living in
SLC I took our neighbor boy, Maxime, to Scouts every Wednesday.
Maxime just moved to SLC from Guinea with his family.  After Scouts he
would always ask me to buy him a hamburger, so I would take him to
different local joints and then we would drive home.  I remember one
time he just rolled down the window and threw the paper bag and his
fountain drink out the window! I was concerned A – because I did not
want to get slapped with a 300.00 littering fine, and B – because he
thought it was appropriate to do so.  Now living in Swaziland I
understand a little more of Maxime’s mindset.  There are no good
receptacles for trash here in Mpaka, and as Swaziland becomes more
modernized with Western products, you have a lovely display of this
modernization on all of the roads.

Although our main road is littered with trash, the back roads are
absolutely breathtaking, and although I have never been one to bird
watch, I think it is a hobby I might have to pick up here.  The birds
here are AWESOME.  Watch Planet Earth and you will get a glimpse of
what I get to experience every day.  Also this week we are going to
attend the traditional “Reed Dance”.  Expect pictures - My homestead
sister is going to be dressing me up in original Swazi attire!

I have to give a shout out to my Mother who sent us the best package
ever this week.  I am so grateful to her and everyone who takes time
out of their day to write us and send us packages.  It is really
comforting and makes me feel like I can survive here in Africa for two
years – especially if I have Reese’s for desert at night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment