Friday, March 9, 2012

Fall is here!


Today was a beautiful day.  Cool, cloudy, and without much on the agenda, I spent the day in our hammock relaxing. Bethany came over in the afternoon and after watching Boardwalk Empire (FYI season 2 episode 5 is cra-zay) we planned our English lesson and then headed over to the camp.  After our lesson Amnesty came up to us and said he wanted to ask us a question.  He sat us down, gave us a serious look, and asked us what we would report back to our friends and family about Africa once we return to the States.  We both looked at him a little stumped, and began to think about what it is exactly that we have/are learning from this whole experience.  I didn’t really know what to say, but after thinking about it over the night I do have some things I want to report back to my friends and family, and whoever else might be reading this blog, particularly the new group coming in a few short months. 

Anyway, some of these answers are pretty cliché, but – whatev.  It is what it is.

I believed it when I was young and I believe it even more now – you really can do anything you set your mind to, despite all the odds going against you.

Africa is a whole different world and a whole different ball game, with a mind of her own.

Avocadoes are amazing, but papaya taste like farts.

Gender inequality is severely stunting Africa and its people.

Death is just as painful here as it is at home.

HIV and AIDs is real, despite what Deusburg says.

When the time comes, I won’t want to say goodbye.

I hate latrines.  A pee bucket is a real thing that I use daily, and if you ever live here, you will use it too.

Peace Corps is two years long because that’s how long it takes to get anything done.  Africa time is slow as molasses. 

Democracy rules.

Hope and forgiveness are essential to the people of Africa.  America could learn a lot about these principals from Swazis. 

I have many families here – My host family when I was a trainee, my permanent host family, my camp family, my school family, my volunteer family.. I feel very safe and very loved.

It is not easy living in Swaziland, and I have thought about going home more than once; however, when it is good, it is life changing, and when it is bad, it is life changing. 

I hate bugs. 

My mindset is always changing and when I think I understand something I get side-swiped, but all-in-all, it’s a kick-ass experience I am glad to be sharing with Ryan. I don’t really know how big of an impact I am making here, if anything at all, but I do know SD is making an impact on me, and that’s kind of the whole point, right?

Pictures!





 


1 comment: