Friday, March 9, 2012

500 Days of Summer..Literally


Today marks the 7th month of summer.  To say the least, I am over it.  I have heard different stories about when winter is coming.  Some said March, others say April, and some (cruel) people even tell me June.  I don’t need snow, but I do love sweaters.  I think what I miss most about home is seasons – you might hate winter, but Spring is just 3 months around the corner! Not so here in Swaziland, and especially in the low-veld where I have nick-named our site “The Fires of Mordor”. At least today we are getting a cool breeze thanks to Cyclone Irena, who failed to make a big appearance.

Today also marks the 9th month that Ryan and I have been living in Swaziland. I cannot believe how time has flown.  I remember during training - when time fell still - that two years was unmanageable.  Now I can’t believe we have been here almost a year! Group 10 is being invited and will be here in late June, and Group 8 volunteers are preparing for their return back to the States. Being so far away from home in a place so completely different from what you know can obviously be difficult, but Ryan and I have had experiences here with people that we will hold onto for the rest of our lives. 

Ryan and I have finally gotten ourselves into a pretty good working schedule – only took 9 months! I have been handed a pretty great opportunity from a missionary couple from our church that allows me to teach women how to make re-usable sanitary pads, with all the material and supplies donated to the women for free.  I am holding the first workshop at the Camp this Saturday, and hope to reach the local high school as well as the girls at GLOW camp come April. Ryan, Bethany and I have also been approved funding to buy supplies for our English Class that we teach at the camp, which will be extremely helpful. Thank you for paying taxes! The excitement from the camp about this English class is contagious – these adults are so eager and happy to learn.  Don’t take fore granted your education! Even public schooling isn’t so bad. J

In other news, Sipoko is getting a little too big for her britches! This is what she brought home to kill yesterday. 



After some cursing at her after she tried to lay the lizard on me as some kind of present, I promptly collected myself and saved the lizard by sweeping it outside. Let’s hope she is smart enough to leave the Black Mambas alone!    

I have stumbled on a really great blogpost by a volunteer serving in Ethiopia.  He does a really great job describing Peace Corps service and the realities that befall you as a volunteer.  

http://waidsworld.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/the-real-peace-corps/

Here are a few other blogs I really enjoy reading of other volunteers serving in Swaziland. If the new invitees are anything like I was, I am sure they are reading everything they can get a hold of about Swaziland, which isn’t that much! Enjoy!  

http://lewisandruby.blogspot.com/

http://bethanyleechpc.blogspot.com/

http://emmaspcadventures.blogspot.com/

http://kaysinafrica.blogspot.com/

http://mattsjones.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment